Saturday, January 22, 2011

Gi vs No Gi ?

So today, I was at the gym training Brazillian Jiu Jitsu.  We use a gi in that class and did the usual.  Worked on variations of chaining submissions together.  For instance, we worked on transitioning from a triangle, right into an armbar and back to a triangle.  Stuff like that.  Then the usual 30min-45min rolling.

A muay thai student was watching us and asked me after whats the difference from training with a gi and without a gi. And which was easier.

As I was telling him, its hard both ways.  I did submission wrestling and no gi grappling at first, so when I transitioned to traditional Brazilian Jiu Jitsu I had a hard time adapting at first.  I've rolled and trained with guys that said the same thing but vice versa.  Adaptation is huge part between rolling with a gi and without one.  Personally, for me at first, not knowing that the gi was used as a weapon and tool, was a very hard concept for me to grasp.  I remember getting choked out with my own collar.  If you've never rolled with a gi, you'll learn that the gi is your biggest weapon and can be used in so many ways.

I had a hard time because training without a gi, your not used to having to grab the gi for handles and grips.  I told the guy they bring different aspects and it changes your approach coming gi to no gi or vice versa.  Honestly, I don't think there is an easier or harder rolling with gi or no gi.  They both bring different aspects and different problems for you to figure out.   But, I feel like when you train with a gi, I honestly think you need more of technique is put to play.  Without a gi, you can use strength and athleticism to help you a great deal when you grapple.  Sweat plays a big part too when you roll without a gi.  But when your in a gi, sometimes you just can't get out of things when someones holding your collar or gi and you can't just slide out positions because sweat doesn't really affect the gi.

At the end of the conversation, I told the guy, you really got to try it for yourself, but what do you guys think?

No comments:

Post a Comment